Sunday, August 12, 2012

A summer skirt and Annie

It's been a long while since I last posted but a photo shoot yesterday motivated me to update this blog that nobody cares about and sees other then me =). So last Sunday my grandma and I both wore outfits that I created so I thought it was only fitting to take pictures after church and post them since I dont think I've ever documented these projects.

A couple months back (maybe it was even a year ago) my grandma asked me to make her a "flowy" skirt that she could wear to church and temple. She picked the fabric and pattern and I sewed the skirt. It was a fairly easy pattern, however she bought a pattern size that was meant for an XL person. So it took me a little longer to make and adjust but I eventually got it to fit her perfectly and she looks cute in it =).  With the extra fabric, I made a flower to pin on her blouse.


My dress was one that I bought at DI for $6. Before I turned it into my own, it was an XL dress that hung down to my calves, the sleeves almost touched my elbow, there were about 10 white buttons that ran down the front of the dress, and it totally looked like a dress that could be found on Warren Jeff's compound. haha Just kidding. not really. I liked the old school look though, and wanted to keep it in tact so I just shorten the sleeves (kept the cuff), took the dress in (which brought the length up), took off about seven buttons, added the belt and sewed two buttons onto it, giving it kind of an Annie look. I LOVE dress because it fits like a glove and is soooo comfortable and light. Perfect for these hot summer days.


Of course I had to get a picture with my cute stylish grandma =))


2 comments:

Twisted Chicken said...

I just found your blog today while searching for puletasi images. I love the brides maid's dresses and you and your cute Grandma. I love reading blogs, especially islander's blogs. I am native Hawaiian (although I never lived there) living in Utah. I haven't sewn for many years but I'm starting to get back to it. Your blog is nice and inspiring for me. Keep it up...some one else is out there ;)

AceMama said...

Me second that! That's the path I took along your inspiring blog, Savani. Googled pulatasi - I'm learning to sew. Found your blog. Saw the bridesmaids dresses then came to this page. That is a nice reconstruction and it's sweet to see you and your love for your grandmother.